Career Opportunities with Lighthouse
Job Title: After-School Specialist
Reports to: Executive Director
General Job Description:
The after-school specialist is responsible for:
1.) Mentoring and supervising youth
2.) Develop and implement Service Learning Program including making all necessary community connections/partnerships,
3.) Develop and implement a continuum Truancy Reduction Program
4.) Tracking data
Youth Mentoring and Supervision – 70% of time
Tasks: Provide positive role modeling to youth through supportive and nurturing interactions at Lighthouse. Interactions include but are not limited to recreational activities, tutoring, field trips, active listening, etc. Positively reinforce and build self-esteem of young people by praising their success and demonstrating interest in them and their activities. Responsible for ensuring that there is adequate supervision in all activity areas. Supervision includes positive interactions and enforcing Lighthouse rules. Maintain a list of mentees, develop goals, track progress and meet with each student.
Program Coordination – 30% of time
Tasks: Solicit input from youth about programming that they would like to be involved with and engage them in the development, planning, and implementation. Programs should address the Developmental Assets with emphasis on those that Lighthouse helps to develop in youth: positive relationships, service to others, safety, diversity, self-esteem, and Fitness/Nutrition. Maintain records of activities and provide to Director.
Other Duties - 5% of time
Tasks: Attend weekly staff meetings. Participate in appropriate community committees, task forces, or board.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for successful fulfillment of role:
• Education: Minimum requirement of Associates Degree in Human Services or related field preferred
• Computers – basic word processing, desktop publishing, and Internet
• Knowledge of 40 Developmental Assets
• Knowledge of Community Resources including school personnel, other human service agencies, youth speakers, etc.
• Excellent Communications Skills – written and verbal
• Ability to effectively manage time
• Ability to develop rapport with youth from diverse backgrounds
• Good listener
• Conflict Resolution Skills
Salary USD 26000 - 30000 Per Year
Career Level Required
Job Type Employee
Job Status Full Time
2601 N Street